Read Time:3 Mins
1. What AIS 140 actually is?
Automotive Industry Standard 140 (AIS 140) is a set of standards published by Automotive Research Association of India(ARAI) designed to build an Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) specifically tailored to gain total control over public transportation systems.
2. Why AIS 140?
Transport certainly does form the backbone of any developing nation and with the recent talks of making India a smarter and technically enhanced nation, it becomes even more prevalent to impose greater focus on the transport sector. Keeping this intention in mind, The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has introduced the vehicle smart standard AIS 140.
3. Mandated by Government of India:
Govt. of India, has directed all the state governments to enforce the standards, equip AIS 140 compliant GPS tracking devices with supporting software for all passenger-carrying buses and other public transport vehicles from 1st April, 2019.
According to the Automotive Industry Standard 140 (AIS 140), it is necessary for all public transport and commercial vehicles to deploy vehicle tracking systems and emergency buttons. The transport authorities are tasked with ensuring that all stipulated vehicles abide by the guidelines laid down by the standard.
4. Who is it applicable to?
- Transport and Logistics
- Mining and Construction
- Food and Beverage Distribution
- Waste Management
- Cold Chain
5. AIS 140 benefits:
- Safety and security:The AIS 140 certification ensures complete safety of the vehicle and passengers by allowing you to monitor the behavior of the driver. The system efficiently tracks any attempt of reckless or careless driving and generates alerts to avoid any incidents.
- Emergency Alert: Gives instant alerts in case of emergencies.
- GPS+AGPS tracking:The upgraded tracking feature allows monitoring and finding accurate locations and movement of vehicles through GPS + SBAS features. In addition to this, this feature alerts you if the vehicle crosses the virtual fence marked. This way you can keep a track on your fleet vehicles.
- SOS Button: Get help instantly with one click.
6. Guidelines for AIS 140:
For a vehicle to have AIS 140 certification, it must follow certain parameters as per Government’s AIS 140 notification:
- The vehicle must necessarily include tracking ability using the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) .
• There must be at least one emergency button output available.
• It must be able to transmit data to two different IP addresses. One to the native regulatory body and other to the emergency contact listed.
• This particular device must be able to transmit data related to speed, distance covered and other performance aspects related to the vehicle.
• The minimum battery backup required to operate as per expectations is 4 hours.
• It must have an embedded SIM.
• It needs to be water and tamper proof for availability in any conditions.
These are certain parameters which define the approval of any vehicle to be AIS 140 certified and will allow you to obtain an ARAI certificate. This thereby enhances the overall traveling experience!
7. Consequences in case of non compliance:
The Automobile Research Association of India (ARAI) has stipulated mandatory use of AIS 140 approved GPS devices with panic buttons in all commercial vehicles.
Failure to comply with this mandate will result in the suspension of a transport permit along with hefty fines.
8. How can I get it?
One should get the device only from authorized companies such as IoT Research Labs (IoTRL). IoTRL offers you services for all your fleet management needs, from Vehicle Tracking System, Advanced Fleet Management System, Fuel monitoring, temperature monitoring, trip and schedule management. IoTRL helps you optimize your fleet operations while you focus on the growth of your business!
Click here https://iotrl.io/fleetconnect_form/ to know more
– NIKHITHA KOLA